Saturday, September 15, 2012

Books To Get Excited About: Upcoming Releases

A couple of weeks ago the Rap Sheet blog took a look at whats to come from some of the finest authors going around. I thought I'd give the list a once over and post those books which I'm most looking forward to.

Rap Sheets original post (dated 7 Sept 2012) can be found here: http://therapsheet.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/seasonal-forecast-daring-dramas-with.html

I tend to lean towards noir, hardboiled, urban-fantasy and neo-noir, which is reflected in the list below. No doubt I've missed some but this is a decent list of some sure-to-be good reads:

Big MariaBig Maria, by Johnny Shaw (Thomas & Mercer) - Author of 'Dove Season'. I loved Shaw's writting style and well defined characters in 'Dove Season' and have been looking forward to more of his full length work.

The Cocktail WaitressThe Cocktail Waitress, by James M. Cain (Hard Case Crime) - I pre-ordered this as soon as it was available. Like the other Harcase Crime releases this year, 'The Coctail Waitress looks to be another great read. Harcase Crime has made a sample chapter available to read on their website.


Live by Night, by Dennis Lehane (Morrow) - A prohibition era crime romp. It's one of my favourite era's of historical fiction. Sure to be a winner.

The Warlord of Willow Ridge, by Gary Phillips (Dafina) - I've enjoyed the two books by Gary Phillips I've read in 'The Jook' and 'Bangers'. Hoping to make it three for three when I read this one.

Target Lancer (Nathan Heller, #16)Target Lancer, by Max Allan Collins (Forge) - I'm right into the Nate Heller series thanks to the re-releases on kindle. 'Target Lancer' is the latest in the recently re-established historical crime series.

Dead of Winter, by Lee Weeks (Simon & Schuster) - Lee Weeks writes fast paced crime thrillers that cover a multitude of underworld topics from gangs, human trafficking, to police corruption. Her previous books include 'The Trophy Taker', 'Trafficed', 'Death Trip', and 'Kiss and Die'. I've read the first three and gave them all 4.5 - 5 stars. My expectations for 'Dead of Winter' are very high.

All The Wild Children, by Josh Stallings (Snubnose Press) - author of 'Beautiful Naked and Dead' returns with a full throttle non-fiction piece about his hard life. Sure to be entertaining and raw.

The Knights of Breton CourtThe Knights of Breton Court, by Maurice Broaddus (Angry Robot) - I was fortunate enough to get an arc of this book and am enjoying it. It's a long book (clocking in at just under 900pgs) but so far the pacing is right on the money. Dubbed as The Wire meets Excalibur, the appeal for me was always going to high. In fact, I like it so much that I've pre-ordered a print copy in addition to the galley arc I'm reading.
The Wrong Goodbye

The Wrong Goodbye, by Chris F Holm (Angry Robot) - The sequel to 'Dead Harvest'. Can't wait to get my hands on this. Urban-fantasy at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment