Thursday, April 6, 2017

Pick of the Month [March 2017]

I read 10 books in March and while my output dropped by 2 books from last month, the quality did not. Half the books I read I rated 5 stars and I even managed to sneak in a reread too which is always nice. I love to reread my books but don't do it nearly as much as I'd like to (thanks to an ever growing tbr pile). 

The pick for March was actually the last book I finished reading for the month, the newly published The Girl Who Was Taken by Charlie Donlea. I was fortunate enough to receive a review copy from the publisher unexpectedly and the book completely blew me away with a twist I couldn't predict. I can see this book ending up on my end of year 'best of' list. 

Read the review HERE.

Other books I rated 5 starts, in no particular order:


  • Rain Dogs by Adrian McKinty - an inventive and character driven locked room mystery. As with the other books in the Sean Duffy series I listened to the audio edition, narrator Gerard Doyle is oh so good. 
  • This Savage Song by V. E. Schwab - a young adult fantasy/horror about monsters, demons-like creatures, and something resembling zombies. The follow-up is scheduled to be published mid year and I can't wait. I was pleasantly surprised by this book.
  • Fellside by M. R. Carey - set predominantly in a women's prison, this book is a vastly different read to The Girl With All The Gifts but is equally as engaging. A must for horror fans.
  • Influx by Daniel Suarez - I wrote down a list of 7 books from my tbr pile at the beginning of the year that I wanted to read and Influx was one of those. Not sure why it sat on the shelf for so long but I was very happy that I finally got around to reading it. Their heir to the tech-fi throne.