Sunday, August 6, 2017

Pick of the Month [July 2017]

I've definitely hit my mid-year reading mojo. July was another great month where I finished 17 books across a variety of genres and mediums. Reading different books keeps my hopelessly addictive hobby fresh and exciting. I often find reading the same kind of book too many times makes a genre feel stale so it's good to mix things up a little, as per a Recent Reads Post

For the third time this year my pick of the month selection is multiple books but I've narrowed it down to 2 (I could have easily picked more) and, as with the theme of this post, they couldn't be any more different from one another. 

Spiderlight by Adrian Tchaikovsky is a fantasy adventure novel focused on an unlikely band of heroes as they traverse a dangerous and mythical landscape in search of the Dark Lord Darvezian, the stereotypical fantasy villain spreading his darkness throughout the country. I was blown away by the world-building, characters, and the clever use of wit. This is a novel where the author clearly had fun writing and it shows throughout the dialogue and the atypical conclusion to the epic quest. Highly recommend picking this one up.  

October is the Coldest Month is a damn good book perfectly suited for fans of rural noir, and draws comparison with Daniel Woodrell. The 16yr old protagonist, Vega is a character you can't help but want more of. She's street smart, complex and has all the hallmarks of a countryside femme fatale. Shout out to Scribe for sending a copy my way.

Other books I rated 5 stars in no particular order include:

The Lone Child by Anna George - general fiction

A Girl Called Honey by Donald Westlake and Lawrence Block - pulp/erotica

Purgatory by Ken Bruen - the 10th book in the Jack Taylor series 

The Woman by Jack Ketchum (reread) - horror, set in the same world as Off Season

No comments:

Post a Comment